Sunday, September 19, 2010

1125 S. Highway 191 - Pearce, AZ September 7, 2010

On my travels down 191 to and back from Pearce, I would always see these two curved shaped, steel, abandoned buildings. They reminded me of barracks one might see on an army base. Today was the day I decided that it was time to take a look.
Parked my car on the side of the highway. The buildings were 1/8 a mile from the highway. My walk consisted of watching how I stepped through waist high grass. My
little friends, the grasshoppers, lead the way. It was a careful climb up the wooden steps to the open entrance of the steel building on the left. Thank goodness it wasn’t high. If one of the steps had rotted out from the harsh AZ weather, my descent to the ground wouldn’t be far.
The first thing I noticed on the floor was what appeared to be a pack rat’s next. Rodent feces were scattered around the floor. Once again, I had to be careful how I walked on the wooden floors since they were prone to give in under the weight of my body at any time. There was a navy colored weathered, hand-painted in yellow sign which read, "FOR SALE. $35.000. 600 FT. FRONTAGE." Parts of the ceiling had already caved in. Most of the paint on the walls was peeling off. There was, what was left of it, a bathroom at the left end of building.
It appeared to be a building that was once used for social functions. On a sill of one of the broken windows was a festive Christmas arrangement made entirely of plastic. In some of the small piles of rubble that were through the building were bits Christmas decorations such as flat green garland and images of Santa on torn plastic sheets.
There were a few Christmas cards here and there on the floor. I picked up a soiled one off of the floor. The front of the card had a wreath made out of red chili peppers and read, "SEASONS GREETINGS." The inside of the card had a printed sentiment that read, "WITH WARMEST WISHES FOR A FESTIVE HOLIDAY SEASON AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR." Under this message, hand written, it read, "Brian, Jock (my husband) keeps saying how he wants to see your house and 9 acres (119,000?) sometime. Merry Christmas, Barbara Highfield."
After finding a shelf near the bathroom, I placed, photographed and documented art piece #61. This time, I once again manipulated the art piece’s final placement by setting Barbara Highfield’s Christmas card behind the art piece on the shelf. Then, I picked up a piece of green garland from the floor and wrapped it around the base of art piece #61 before taking my photograph.
Since this building was once a home to merriment, I decided to use the contents already there to make the placement festive. A tribute to the ghosts of parties past. Then I wondered, "What ever happened to Barbara Highfield? Was she still alive? Did Jock and her ever visit Brian? What kind of a relationship is Brian and Barbara really have?"
I took calculated steps out of the building and back into the bright, hot sun. Grasshoppers accompanied me on my walk back to the car. I touched the hot handle on my car door and with a precise maneuver, I opened it. Key in the ignition, with a quick twist, the engine started and the air conditioner began churning out, temporarily, hot air.
Once I was back driving on the asphalt highway, all I could think about was Barbara Highfield. Did she have a dance with Brian at the last Christmas party held in that building? I pictured two special friends sharing a laugh and gliding across the dance floor as my car made its journey - directly in the sun. I smiled and hoped in my heart that Barbara and Brian found happiness in their journey, together or apart. Whatever, I’ll toast them both on 12/25/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment