Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Broken Arrow Baptist Church - E. Ironwood Road, Pearce, AZ September 7, 2010

One can sure tell its Fall in SE AZ by driving down any asphalt road. There are hundreds of grasshoppers all over the road. One of my dogs, Belle, switches from chasing lizards to pouncing on grasshoppers at this time of year.
On my way to a patient’s home, I drove past a building, with a long sign of faded lettering, that read, "Broken Arrow Baptist Church." There were also some letters on the left hand side of the sign which read, KJ1611. I parked my car on the side of the road and walked 50 feet through tall grass. I carefully scanned the grass for rattlesnakes. No snakes, just grasshoppers.
The front door was chained and locked. The ceiling to the left of the entrance had almost caved in. Scattered around the entrance were identical, books with red covers which read,
"All American Church Manual." They were worse for wear from the weather.
Since I chose to manipulate the staging of the photographs at today’s scenes - I gingerly picked up two of the hymnals. One I placed as a back drop against the front door. The other I laid in front of it and opened to a hymn. There I placed, photographed and documented #60.
As I walked back to my car, I couldn’t help but wonder about what happened to the congregation of this church? Not enough coin in the Sunday collection plate? It occurred to me that this was an unusual name for a Baptist church - "Broken Arrow." Perhaps the church’s name had some connection to the Cochise Apaches who once resided here. Perhaps these folks were missionary types trying to convert the "savages?" Maybe the congregation just wanted to have an unique name for a Baptist church.
Another riddle unanswered. Got to my car. Another grasshopper I almost stepped on. Another patient to see before my car has to head down north Highway 191.

No comments:

Post a Comment