Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nielson Trucking Co. and Car Wash - Duncan, AZ September 1, 2010

Every time I drive into Duncan, I have to pass a red, white and blue painted self-serve car wash. Never do I see anyone actually using the facility or any vehicles parked there. Today I stopped the car to explore it and hopefully place an art piece there.


It must still be in occasional use because I didn’t see any debris around or broken glass from soda or beer bottles. It appeared that someone has been looking out after it.

Upon further exploration, I noticed a piece of plywood, painted white, which read, ”Nielson Trucking Co. - Owner & Operator Dan Nielson.” There was a semi-truck cab also painted on the sign. I was surprised, however, to see that there wasn’t a phone number listed any where on the sign. I placed, documented and photographed #57 on the ledge below the sign.

While I drove back to my office at the hospital in Safford, I thought about the assemblage pieces that I was working on in my studio at the ranch. These weren’t related to this art project except by theme. These assemblage pieces were made mainly of vintage cowboy and indian toys that I’ve acquired from all over the world on Ebay. The figures, plastic and metal, in various sizes were placed in off beat scenarios on table top sized shelves.

These pieces would be sold in a gallery or directly to a private collector.

While I worked on these assemblages, I thought back to the overseas tourists I’ve seen visiting Tombstone in the past. Were some of these Old West enthusiasts - as children, had they once played with some of the vintage figures I purchased from the four corners of the earth? Were they following up on their childhood iconic passions?

While driving to a patient’s home in Clifton the other day, I noticed that cowboy and indian icon art piece #50 was gone from where I placed it. Hopefully, who ever picked it up noticed my email address written on the bottom and will contact me. Maybe it was one of those overseas tourists. Maybe they were passing through on their way to visit one of the other local locations used as a backdrop in one of the old westerns. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment