Saturday, August 7, 2010

Apple Annie's Produce - 6405 W. Williams - Willcox, AZ July 23, 2010

As I made my egg deliveries to my customers’ homes this AM before I started my other work day, I wondered if any of the customers knew that my Araucana/Americana hens were purchased from the same east coast hatchery that Martha Stewart and The Fabulous Beekman Boys (The reality TV show about 2 gay guys from the city who bought a farm in upstate New York. It’s sort of “Green Acres” meets “La Cage aux Folles.”) Almost every one of these particular customers has at least an undergrad college degree which is rare where I live.


Then, after I really thought about it, the reason why they probably all purchased their eggs from me was the fact that I personally delivered my organic eggs plus I’m cheaper in price than the only health food store within a 100 miles from here.

After all the deliveries, the patient I had to visit didn’t live too far away from the Truck Plaza where some of the nurses and I love having breakfast at every Friday AM. It’s got to be the best breakfast spot within a 100 miles - north, south, east or west. After I helped he and his wife sort through a bureaucratic nightmare with their health insurance coverage, the route back to my office in the hospital through the orchards and Coronado National Park beckoned me.

Huge white and gray cotton candy clouds, looking like they were inflicted by mumps, threw an overcast on the terrain which made it perfect summer driving weather - no hot sun beating down on me while through the windshield as I drove the distance.

I headed for the place where I would be able to get fresh picked sweet corn, tomatoes and cucumbers - Apple Annie’s. This is the destination for city folks from Tucson and Phoenix to drive to pick their own produce right from the fields - an afternoon event for the whole family. I, myself, do not like picking anything so I just make a purchase of what produce is available at their open air market.

However, I’m partial to the organic peaches and apples from Briggs & Eggers Orchards down the road from Apple Annie’s. Less fanfare which makes my buying experience more personal. One Saturday last October, I decided to pick-up a pumpkin from Apple Annie’s since I happen to be in the area. Wrong move! It appeared that half of Tucson’s population had the same idea along with taking a ride on in the hay wagon which was making the rounds while everyone munched on kettle corn. The line was very, very long to the cash register. Not today though. I drove into the graveled parking lot which had a variety of large shade trees that were planted in sporadic locations.

I placed, photographed and documented #47 in one of the trees in the parking lot way in the back. The yellow and green cowboy and indian plastic figures had a yellow and green backdrop from the John Deere tractors parked in the distance.

With cowboy and indian icon art piece #47 in its new home - I went to quench my desire.

The desire that wouldn’t be satisfied until I had the sweet, juicy pulp of a peach languishing around in my mouth. Oh, yes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment