Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stone's Throw from the Phelps Dodge Mining Shovel - August 10, 2010

When I stepped back a few feet, I noticed this cute little, tan, brick house, with the window( shaded by an aluminum awning) and door broken out along with a tin roof - over my right shoulder. There was no address on it but I figured out that the address must be in the high 40's by what I could determine by the other houses nearby. The abode was on the corner of a row of abandoned houses. The corner of the house had a big hole and looked as if a car met with it head on. In the back of the house was a partial, rusty, metal swing set.


Upon getting a closer view of the house, a waft of a musty smell came through the door and window. I looked inside and it was filled up to the ceiling in trash consisting of bricks, mortar, drywall, furniture and other household items. Yeah, there was the odd beer can or food wrapper. But the destroyed furniture seemed to take up most of the space.

I gingerly placed, photographed and documented #56 on a pile of wooden boards just inside of the doorway.

After I stepped back, I wondered about the families who once lived in this row of houses.

They were all quite small so I assumed these families were poor. This street was nothing like Park Avenue in New York city. Never will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment