Monday, August 9, 2010

Arizonia Rangers - Coronado Co. #10 - Duncan, AZ July 26, 2010

Today I spent time with a hospice patient who is a practicing Buddhist. We have a few different spiritual abodes or havens around these parts. There’s the Buddhist monastery at Iron Knot Ranch, St. Paisius Serbian orthodox monastery and the Peyote Way Church (and compound). However, there are no mosques or temples - at least not yet.


Within walking distance of my patient’s home was a very small headquarters of the Arizona Rangers - Coronado Co. - #10. The Arizona Rangers are a law enforcement agency modeled on the Texas Rangers. After banding in 1901, disbanding in 1909 and rebanding in 1957, their job was to apprehend rustlers and outlaws especially along the Mexican border. In 1940, RKO released a low-budget black & white film titled, Arizona Ranger. (A few years back I was able to purchase an original movie lobby poster that publicized the film.) Now the Arizona Rangers is a voluntary service organization who are civilian auxiliary police - functioning as youth and community support.

Since there weren’t any adequate places for a cowboy and indian icon art piece right at the headquarters, I chose the windowsill of an empty rock house - facing the AZ Rangers’ driveway.

After I placed, photographed and documented #48, a pounding monsoon rain came falling from the sky. I ran to my car, got in and waited for the rain to slow down some so I could have a clearer view of the road back to Safford and my office at the hospital. As I watched the thick wall of water roll down the windshield in my still car, my thoughts went back to the patient I just left. I hoped he was able to hear the rain pellet his roof. I hoped the sound helped soothe his anguish as he passed over to the other side - which he soon did. Hopefully, an angel was standing there with an umbrella - if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment