Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Highway 80, AZ - December 7, 2010

It was fun having a "Thelma" with me when I was placing, photographing and documenting cowboy and indian icon art pieces. Usually, the only other "witness" to the process of this art project is my blog. I so enjoyed her enthusiasm towards the artistic process. It transcended the essence of the art project from creative task to adventure.
Yee Haw!
Francesca was a bit apprehensive about the next location I had chosen for placement.
The sun was now starting to set. Driving down the highway back to the ranch were long stretches of nothing much. On one of these stretches, an abandoned sea green building - the size and shape of a cabin - beckoned me to stop.
Now I’ve been exploring rural SE AZ for almost 3 ½ years. My only fears about entering an abandoned structure are falling through a spot on a rotting floor, loose shingles or boards descending from the sky or Mother Nature - a snoozing poisonous spider, snake, scorpion or other startled animal of the four legged variety. Frankie, coming from a more industrial location in Great Britain, envisioned a wigged out homeless person attacking me while she watched on from the front seat of my car.
I own a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It not unusual for folks out here to travel with a gun in their vehicle as their second amendment right and fear of being left in a vulnerable situation out in no man’s land. I had my .22 Ruger hand gun with me - holstered. Frankie expressed having peace of mind. However, this wasn’t a western movie and I had no intention of firing the gun unless a coiled rattlesnake was ready to strike.
It turned out that the abode did not harbor any rattlesnakes or irrate vagabonds. There were quite a few books, stored in cardboard boxes, instead. I placed, photographed and documented #70 on an inside windowsill. It was difficult to photograph the cowboy and indian icon art piece from the outside. Francesca helped me out. She got out of the car, walked up to the windowsill and pointed straight to it for the photograph. Artistic mission accomplished with no casualties! We both laughed.
We were able to get back to Grapevine Ranch Canyon before the sun had completely set.
On the way to the mess hall and the company of other equine enthusiasts at supper, we drove by cowboy and indian icon art piece # 31, undisturbed. That one was placed at Grapevine Canyon Ranch on 4/12/10 - also without incident or casualty!
Long ago, there could’ve of been an incident when the artistic excursion could’ve met with foul consequences. This particular area has quite the history of Apache unrest. But for tonight our artistic adventure was just another story to tell around the supper table between mouthfuls of tender chicken, crunchy corn off the cob, tossed salad, buttery mashed potatoes and homemade cheesecake for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment