Monday, August 15, 2011

312 Railway Avenue. Willcox, AZ April 21, 2011


I had just finished visiting my last patient when I remembered that I needed a halter for my foal.  A baby, like Apache, needs to a subtle introduction to humans and their touch.  That little colt is a handful right now.  I’ve been roping him, running my hands all over his fuzzy body and them releasing him.  So far, so good.  If I sit in a chair in the corral, he will walk up to me and explore my body with his nose and mouth.  It feels strange to have my fingers inside a tiny horse’s mouth.  No teeth!
Before leaving Willcox, I made a stop at the Stronghold Feed Store for the halter.  Picked out a tiny, bright-red, weaved nylon one.  On my way out the door, I noticed this lonely set of concrete stairs  -  overgrown with foliage.  It didn’t appear as if anyone has gone up them . . . or down.  I placed, photographed, and documented #109 on the top step.
Then it was time to get in my car and back on the road.  It was almost supper time for my critters.  I was responsible for feeding them all – except one.  There is no way I could ever divert Apache’s attention from the teats of his mama.  It’s always supper time for him.  Bon appetit!           
  




No comments:

Post a Comment