Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ranch Rodeo. Willcox, AZ May 7, 2011


Every spring, the cattle ranches in Cochise county send their best skilled cowboys to a local rodeo like no other.  The ranch that wins this rodeo gets cash and bragging rights for the next year.  Events range milking a wild cow to loading up one’s horse & designated calf on to a stock trailer – horseback.  Yep, the cowboy actually rides his horse up on to the stock trailer with the calf, dismounts and shuts the trailer gate behind him.  Him and the rest of the team then have to have their butts planted firmly some where on the rig before time is called.  The participants in this rodeo could put any Hollywood stunt cowboy to shame.  Yee Haw!
This year I decided to sponsor one of the ranches in the competition.  This means if the ranch I sponsored accumulates the most points in the competition and wins – I get to split the winnings with the ranch!  I sponsored the odds on favorite this year – The Warbonnet Ranch.  Taking this kind of gamble with money isn’t something I normally do.  I gamble in quite a few areas in my life – just not with my money.  However, this opportunity was more like a once in a lifetime adventure though.
Got together a posse of friends – Sarah, Colleen and Francesca (now back visiting from England) and it was game on.  Our ranch had the only all-female cheering section.  Of course, the Warbonnet Ranch won the rodeo.  I would like to believe that our rowdy, cowgirl, motivational section in the bleachers had something to do with it.  Either way, they won!!!  Colleen, Sarah, Francesca and I ran down the bleachers to the arena and got a group photo with the cowboys once they dismounted.  I must say, we were one good looking, smiling group of folks.
I collected my money and took a photo with my tired but psyched cowboys in the winner’s circle.  The ranch was also awarded a saddle.  Francesca helped me place, photograph and document #108 discreetly under the bleachers before we left.  She was already an expert at this after helping me out a few months ago with #73.    
It’s a day that all of us will remember.  A great memory that even included a cowboy and indian icon art placement.  Life IS good.                        

No comments:

Post a Comment