Friday, August 5, 2011

River rock house, Hwy. 70, Duncan, AZ April 6, 2011

Off of Highway 70 near a high school, on the outskirts of Duncan, back off the road are two quaint, small houses - all made of rim rock (medium-sized, gray, smooth round surface). Well, that’s how one of the occupants of one of those homes described the building material. That was after she inquired about why I was rummaging around a nearly condemned house with no "For Sale" sign.
I had just placed, photographed and documented cowboy and indian art piece #105 on one of the chipped, turquoise painted windowsills when she walked up on me. She was a thin, middle aged brunette dressed in white cotton blouse, navy shorts and well-worn sandals. Quickly, I turned around and smiled. Her eyes were centered on me. It was doubtful she saw my artistic preoccupation with #105.
After some quick thought, I told her that I had always admired this house and I was looking for a quaint place to rent as an art studio( even though I wasn’t). The neighbor woman said that she didn’t know who was the property owner but there was possibly a lien on the property or some other complication. The slim, casually dressed woman went on to say that she had rental property in town which would probably make a great art studio.
All I knew was that I wasn’t interested in renting a place for an art studio and had to graciously depart without drawing any attention to art piece #105. So I took her phone number and let her know that I might be in touch about her rental property. Then she strongly encouraged me to follow her into Duncan to take a quick peek at her rental property. I finally persuaded her that I didn’t have the time to do that and made a quick exit into my car.
I didn’t like lying to this woman at all but I couldn’t compromise the integrity of my artistic process or the location of art piece #105. Well, another cowboy and indian icon art piece in place. If I ever am looking for an artsy space to rent in Duncan, at least I know who I can contact!

No comments:

Post a Comment