Sunday, August 28, 2011

Apache Wildlife Station, Cochise County. April 29, 2011


Incidentally, on the “Apache” topic, my equine additions now have a new home.  Well, I was originally going to sell Apache after he was weaned from Spice.  Young horses take a great deal training and one’s attention.  I learned that with having Lady Latte since she was a foal.  Even though I enjoyed having Apache part of my life, at my age, between Apache and Lady Latte, my horse nursery days were over.  Maybe a great project when I someday retired.  However, I wasn’t retiring any time soon and Apache wasn’t going to wait.  
It was in the plan to keep Spice for my hospice animal therapy visits.  That plan soon changed when Spice developed a nasty attitude towards me.  Maybe she wasn’t keen on women or anyone who wore a cowboy hat.  I fell into both of those categories.  Spice only tolerated me feeding her and not much else.  Putting a halter, bridle and/or saddle on her prompted a resistant streak.  Maybe she just needed to get use to me?
One Sunday I decided to groom, bridle and saddle, with me on her, for my yearly holiday photo.  I thought, “How cute!  It’ll be Spice, Apache and me. I would be dressed in festive, western, vintage clothing.”  I loved my vision of this perspective photo.
Spice did everything in her power, except bite and kick, to avoid being tacked up.  However, I figured all I needed to do was just sit in the saddle for a few photos and – done!  A few friends were over to shoot these photos for me.  Ready, set, action – I climbed on Spice’s back.
Before one photo could be taken, Spice was in full bucking bronc glory.  Instead of being afraid, thoughts flitted through my mind such as, “Wow, I wonder how long I can sit this?”  As if I was competing in an event at the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas?!!!  My friends had scattered out of my horse’s way.  Apache joyfully romped around with mama as if it was a new game he got to participate in. 
I landed safely in the dirt after a few seconds of this nonsense.  This wasn’t my first time I’ve been ever been thrown off a horse.  One always hopes it’s the last especially as bones get more brittle at my age.  Felt very little physical pain but quite of bit of churning anger was inside of me.  After a bit of effort, I caught, took off Spice’s saddle and tack and put Apache and her back into the corral.  So much for being dressed up for a holiday photo and my mounted horse vision.
A local teacher and her teenage daughter wanted to purchase Spice and Apache.  She was going to teach Spice to pull a cart.  Her daughter was going to take on Apache as a training project once school was out for the summer.  Spice and Apache found themselves a new home with them.  It was so sad to see them go but Spice needed a more suitable place that didn’t include me.   These two people had enough patience to give a whole herd of Spice and Apache horses a great deal of attention and love.
Today I was in Cochise county and drove past the Apache Wildlife Station.  I stopped the car at the side of the highway right at the Apache Wildlife Station sign.  I placed, photographed and documented #111 at the sign.  This was in tribute to Apache, the beloved colt I had once in my life.  Of course his mother also.   Did I ever mention that she was a wild ride?  Hmm? 


 
                      






                   

No comments:

Post a Comment